Funky Trunks and Funkita Race Series
Welcome to the Funky Trunks and Funkita Race Series for 2022/2023. This swim series makes open water swimming accessible and exciting for all Cantabrians, offering an enjoyable and active way for people to unwind and challenge themselves after a days work, study, or even training.
Our event encourages and supports swimmers training for other events, helps build confidence in swimmers new to open water swimming and fosters connections in the swimming community.
It is a community and family orientated event series aimed at giving everyone a fun, affordable and well-structured way to get active in the open water. The focus is on getting people active, enjoying sport and on building comfort, thereby improving safety of adults in the open water.
We look forward to seeing you for another great summer of open water swim racing! Entries open 1 Nov 2022.
2022/2023 Race Dates, Times and Locations;
Wed 14 Dec 2022: Corsair Bay. Race Start: 6:30pm.
Wed 21 Dec 2022: Corsair Bay. Race Start: 6:30pm.
Wed 11 Jan 2023: Corsair Bay. Race Start: 6:30pm.
Wed 18 Jan 2023: Corsair Bay. Race Start: 6:30pm.
Wed 08 Feb 2023: Naval Point. Race Start: 6:30pm.
Wed 15 Feb 2023: Corsair Bay. Race Start: 6:30pm.
Wed 22 Feb 2023: Rain Date.
Short = 500m
Medium = 1000m
Long = 2000m
- Registration opens at 5:30pm
- Registration closes at 6:15pm
- Compulsory race brief will be at 6:25pm
- Race Start will be in waves, starting from 6:30pm.. The long course swimmers will be set off first. Waves are started 2mins apart.
- Course cut off is 70mins after race start
- Prize giving will not be held. Prizes will be posted out.
The race will be swum on a 500m course. Each distance has a male and female category for individuals.
- Single Swim Pass: $35
- 3 Race Swim Pass: $105
- Full Series Swim Pass (6 races): $210, includes race cap
- On the night registration is available, please bring $40 cash.
Please note: the full series swim pass is not a discounted pass, it is provided for the convenience of booking. We are doing our best to deliver an awesome swim series in challenging times. Thanks for your support.
Colours have been selected for high visibility and safety in open water
- Yellow must be worn by 2km competitors
- Pink must be worn by 1km competitors
- Orange must be worn by 500m competitors
All swimmers must wear the appropriate coloured cap. You may wear your own cap as long as it is the correct colour. Yellow, pink and orange caps will be available to purchase as part of the registration or on the night for $5.
- All online entries must be received by 1400 on the day of the race.
- Competitors YOUNGER THAN 16 years on the day who are competent swimmers may seek dispensation from the race director to enter via their parent or guardian. Please e-mail to email@example.com
- All competitors must wear the appropriate coloured cap. (2km= Yellow, 1km= Pink, 500m= Orange). It may have any branding but must be the correct colour. Correct coloured caps are available for $5.
- All swimmers must attend the safety briefing 5mins before race start at every event.
- The start line is waist deep to prevent toe stub running injuries.
- Race cut off is 70mins after race start – you must complete your swim by this time or you will be asked to leave the water.
- Prizes will be awarded for first place male and female for each distance.
- Un-sportsperson like behaviour will not be tolerated, this is a community, fun swim event. Anyone deemed to be in breach of this, will be asked to leave the venue.
- Competency – swimmers are responsible for ensuring they have completed sufficient training to ensure they can competently complete this event. If in doubt speak to a staff member prior to beginning. We recommend a private swim coaching lesson and preparation in the group open water coached swims prior to swim racing.
- The race director has the final say on race course layout and race participation.
For Funky Trunks and Funkita Race Series feedback and queries email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep an eye out for updates and other opportunities including our regular Fit&Abel swim coaching posts on facebook.
Join the 2022/2023 race series! Entries open 1 Nov 2022.
Terms and conditions Funky Trunks and Funkita Race Series (FTFRS):
By entering this event I agree I have read the race rules, am physically fit and capable to complete this open water swim and take full responsibility for my safety pre, during and post race.
If NZ moves into Covid Levels 2, 3 or 4, this event will be cancelled or postponed as per NZ Ministry of Health Guidelines. Your online race entry will either be;
- credited back to your FitandAbel TeamUp account to be used on the next available race OR
- if no races remain for the season, you will be credited the amount of your entry fee onto your FitandAbel Team Up account to be used towards another FitandAbel swim service.
By entering the FTFRS you are agreeing to the above terms and conditions.
A big thank you to our community friends without whom the Funky Trunks and Funkita Race Series would not be possible: