Funky Swim Event
FitandAbel’s long-distance event, in association with Funky Trunks and Funkita, the FitandAbel Funky Swim Event, is back for a second year and will be held Sunday 18 December 2022.
Located at a private freshwater lake on South Eyre Road, Oxford, this event is designed to provide you the opportunity to train under event conditions, test your distance endurance, practice your feeding and navigation, simulate your event plan and build confidence ahead of your chosen swim events this summer.
We have also introduced this year, a fun 100m Splash n Dash sprint race to finish off the day with a bang! Whether its your only swim of the day or a quick sprint after your bigger event, this speedy little event will be lots of fun!
Race Distance Options
10km, 7km, 5km, 3km and 1km. Plus we have a 100m Splash n Dash sprint race to finish off the day with a bit of fun!
Join us to go looonnnggg this summer!
- Registration opens at 0700
- Registration closes 15mins before the start of that event;
- 10km 0745
- 7km 0845
- 5km 0915
- 3km 1030
- 1km 1030
- 100m 1140
- Compulsory race brief will be 5mins before the start of each race.
- Race Starts are staggered throughout the morning;
- 10km 0800
- 7km 0900
- 5km 0930
- 3km 1045
- 1km 1050
- 100m 1155
- Course cut off is midday.
- Prize giving will be held at midday, or as soon as the last swimmer is out of the water.
There are five distance categories available; 10km, 7km, 5km, 3km and 1km. These will all be swum on a 1km lap course.
PLUS there is a 100m Splash n Dash sprint race to finish off the day with a bang and whole lotta fun!
Online entry fees
Please enter and pay online via www.fitandabel.com. Or you can purchase our Athletes Summer Membership to get better value for money. Online entries will close midday Saturday 17 December 2022.
We will accept on the day entries. Pricing for on the day entries is as follows. We accept cash only, no cards.
Wearing a race cap is compulsory. Colours have been selected for high visibility and safety in the open water.
|10km||10km Funky event cap, supplied|
All swimmers must wear the appropriate coloured cap. 7km, 5km, 3km & 1km swimmers – you may wear your own cap as long as it is the correct colour. Yellow, pink and orange caps will be available to purchase as part of the registration or on the day for $5.
- All online entries must be received online by;
– midday Saturday 17 December 2022
– late entries will be accepted on the day. Cash payment only. On the day entry prices are available under the event pricing information.
- Competitors YOUNGER THAN 16 years on the day who are competent swimmers may seek dispensation from the race director to enter via their parent or guardian. Please e-mail to email@example.com.
- All competitors must wear the appropriate coloured cap. (10km = Event Cap provided, 7km = Yellow, 5km = Pink, 3km & 1km = Orange, 100m = any colour). 7km, 5km, 3km & 1km swimmers – your cap may have any branding but it must be the correct colour. Correct coloured caps are available for $5.
- All swimmers must attend the safety briefing 5mins before each distance race start.
- The race will take place at Sparks Lake, South Eyre Road, Oxford. The start line is waist deep to prevent toe stub running injuries.
- Race cut off is midday – you must complete your swim by this time or you will be asked to leave the water.
- Prizes will be awarded for first place male and female for each distance.
- Un-sportsperson like behaviour will not be tolerated, this is a community, fun swim event. Anyone deemed to be in breach of this, will be asked to leave the venue.
- This event is on private land. You must at all times respect the land and surrounding areas and take all your rubbish with you.
- Competency – swimmers are responsible for ensuring they have completed sufficient training to ensure they can competently complete this event. If in doubt speak to a staff member prior to beginning. We recommend a private swim coaching lesson and preparation in the group open water coached swims prior to swim racing.
- The race director has the final say on race course layout and race participation.
For the FitandAbel Funky Event feedback and queries please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep an eye out for updates and other opportunities including our regular Fit&Abel swim coaching posts on Facebook.
The FitandAbel safety crew will be on both land and water to support you during the event. There will be two IRBs and multiple board paddlers in the water. There will also be a land-based water safety co-ordinator and additional staff around the lake. Please do not rely on the safety team as a guarantee of your safety. You must take responsibility for your own swim fitness and open water swimming ability. If you need support in your preparation for the event, please ask us for help.
A designated medical person will be onsite for any injuries or accidents.
Join us to go looonnnggg this summer!
Terms and conditions FitandAbel Funky Event:
By entering this event I agree I have read the race rules, am physically fit and capable to complete this open water swim and take full responsibility for my safety pre, during and post race.
- I accept responsibility for my own event preparation and open water swimming ability.
- I accept there are risks associated with entering a sporting event.
- I understand there is a minimum level of competency required for this activity and if I am unsure I will check with a Fit&Abel staff member before undertaking this activity. Contact can be made via email; email@example.com.
Due to outgoing costs, if the event is cancelled due to Covid level restrictions, weather conditions, weather events or ‘acts of God’, I understand I will receive 60% of my entry fee back as a credit on my FitandAbel TeamUp account.
I understand and agree to the following refund policy;
– If I cancel my event entry for any reason before midnight Friday 30 September 2022, I will receive 100% of my entry fee back as a credit to my FitandAbel Team Up account.
– If I cancel my event entry for any reason between Saturday 1 October and midnight Friday 25 November 2022, I will receive 50% of my entry fee back as a credit to my FitandAbel Team Up account.
– If I cancel my event entry for any reason from Saturday 26 November 2022, I will receive no refund or credit to my FitandAbel Team Up account.
Note: no refunds will be given.
By entering The FitandAbel Funky Event you are agreeing to the above terms and conditions.
A big thank you to Funky Trunks and Funkita for their support of the event. Without their generosity this event would not be possible.