SwimEars RealSwim Adventure Race; 1 Feb 2020
After two fantastic years of mystery swims…we have decided to change it up for 2020… by not changing it at all! While it still maintains its adventurous element, the course is no longer a mystery. The feedback on the course in 2019 was that it was ‘so spectacular’, we have decided to run the same for 2020. PLUS we are adding a shorter 3km swim distance.
This event is much more than just a swim. The swim course, ferry ride, limited swimmer numbers, unique start and picturesque finish location make for a special and fantastic morning on and in the water.
– a 5km swim starting in Purau Bay and finishing at Whakamaru Beach, Quail Island.
– a 3km swim starting in front of Diamond Harbour and finishing at Whakamaru Beach, Quail Island.
Swimming along the Banks Peninsula coastline is simply stunning! With the sun rising from behind you, the colours, views and scenery are all world class!
“It was one of my swimming highlights over the summer” – 2019 RealSwimmer.
We will depart from and return to Lyttelton Harbour via the BlackCat Ferry. First stop Purau Bay, where the 5km swimmers will jump off the back off the boat to line up on the start line. The boat will then head to the 3km start line for swimmers to jump off the boat and line up on the start line, to then merge with the 5km course.
Entry Fee – $99 which includes;
– Black Cat Ferry travel
– swim safety across the course
– Quail Island access; we are very grateful to DOC for the use of the beach for an event
– a commemorative swim cap
– a trophy for the overall fastest 5km swimmer
– unique medals for 1st, 2nd, 3rd male and female in each distance
– awesome spot prizes
– swim racing + fun + food…all guaranteed in this strictly limited entry race
Proposed Race Schedule
– Registration: from 0545 on race morning at Black Cat Ferry, Terminal 6, Lyttelton Wharf
– Ferry departure: 0645
– 5km Wave One (RealSwimmers) start: 0715
– 5km Wave Two (Speedsters) start: 0720
– 3km Start: 0740
– Course Cut Off: 0930
– Prize Giving: 0945
There is a toilet at the ferry terminal and on board the ferry.
Departure time/s from 0645, however these will be updated via e-mail prior to the day. These are subject to change and are at the discretion of the race organisers.
– 3km: one wave only
– 5km: two starting waves;
- WAVE 1: The RealSwimmers (pink caps) for those who swim slower than 20 min/km
- WAVE 2: The Speedsters (yellow caps) for those who swim 20min per km or faster (for 5km)
The swim is tide assisted. Competitors must be aged 16 years or over on the day of the race. A parent or guardian must email email@example.com for approval for any swimmer under 16yrs interested in taking part in this event. Please include child’s name and swim ability/experience.
Wave distances can be changed up to 2 days prior to the event if there is room available in the desired wave. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request this change.
Keen for some support from the ‘sideline’? We are offering the chance for your friends and family to see you complete this stunning course. The Black Cat Ferry will provide spectators transport to the start line, along the course, with a drop off at Quail Island to cheer you on at the finish line! Then back to the Ferry terminal after completion of the event.
Tickets are $10, bookings essential with limited spaces available. Bookings Open Now.
– Entry fee refund requests up to midnight 30 Nov 2019 will receive 100% refund of their entry fee.
– Entry fee refund requests between 1 Dec 2019 and midnight 11 Jan 2020 will receive 50% of their entry fee.
– Withdrawals requests submitted after midnight 11 Jan 2020 will receive no refund.
Requests for refunds must be submitted to the event organisers via email; email@example.com
Have questions or would like more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
2019 SwimEars Adventure Race RESULTS
2018 Swim Ears Adventure Race RESULTS